Forklift cages as the name suggests lifts the workers to an elevated level for tasks or jobs at a higher elevation safely. Everyone remembers the accident in 2000 when a worker’s cage titled and he got a fractured skull. Here are some basic tips for right use of forklift cage.
Here are some basic tips to keep in mind while using a forklift cage.
- Be cautious of the load limit: Always check the load limit mentioned in the manual of the vehicle before using the forklift. Usually, a forklift can take up-to two men. The cage’s capacity has to be matched with the overall weight of not only persons but also the toolkits they are carrying along.
- It is the rule of thumb that the cage must be securely attached to the forklift. Always check that none of the forks is moving when the cage is harnessed to the forklift.
- Opt for a stainless steel cage for outdoor use if you are into f&b, chemicals or pharmaceuticals companies. The checkered spaces of this case ensure the flow of, water from it easily.
- Each worker using the cage must wear the body harness and lanyard attached to the cage in a proper manner. The body harness must be well fitted. It is must be certified and check for the serial number and date of manufacturing. The body harness must be checked every time beforehand. Discard the body harness after they pass ten years of manufacturing.
- The doors of the forklift cages must never open outward. Inward doors reduce the chances of accidents.
- Look for a cage with internal handrails for safety. This will prevent the hands and fingers from getting crushed.
- The personnel must be at a distance of minimum one foot when the forklift raises the cage.
- While the cage is being elevated, the speed of forklift extension slippers Melbourne must not exceed the creep speed.
- Always keep the mast of forklift cages vertically. A slightly tilted position would lead to mishappenings.
- The other personnel of staff must be out of the work area of the cage while the forklift in the operation.
- When the forklift is working, the operator must not be absent from control position at any point of time.
- Go through all the safety guidelines mentioned in the manuals of forklift cage on the purchase. It is always better to have an orientation session for the same with the personnel.
- If you are going into the industrial occupation, it is always advisable to get forklift safety training before applying.
- The forklift cages come with the statutory warning of cancer and reproductive health.